From 15–20 September, the Society of American Travel Writers is hosting its annual convention in Reykjavik, Iceland. The SATW is an organisation that represents more than 1,000 professional journalists, photographers, and media relations professionals in North America working across the travel industry. On Monday, 15 September, over 350 SATW members will descend upon the Icelandic capital for a week filled with meetings, tours, lectures, dinners, excursions and networking events.
As part of this event, Arctic Encounters has been assisting the SATW in putting together a programme of engaging lectures and roundtable discussions linked to tourism and society across the Arctic. The talks form part of a series of “Professional Development” workshops, seminar and lectures held over several days which are aimed at travel professionals. The hope is that these talks will stimulate discussion among SATW members on some of the current challenges facing Arctic regions as well as encourage travel journalists and other professionals working in the travel industry to take up these issues in their future writing.
Over the several members of the Arctic Encounters research team, as well as a number of esteemed scholars and tourism and travel professionals, will be giving talks and leading discussions on topics such as Arctic sustainability, Icelandic society post-economic crash and Nordic travel writing.
Those speaking during the week include:
• Gísli Pálsson (Professor of Anthropology, University of Iceland)
• Eliza Reid (Editor, Icelandair magazine and Co-founder, Iceland Writers Retreat)
• Rebecca Bruce (Product Manager, Inntravel)
• Julia Spence (Public Relations Director, Inntravel)
• Katrín Anna Lund (Associate Professor, University of Iceland)
• Kristín Loftsdottír (Professor of Anthropology, University of Iceland)
• Simone Abram (Reader, Leeds Beckett University)
• Roger Norum (Posdoctoral Research Fellow, University of Leeds)
You can find the full schedule of speakers here (NB: Unfortunately, admission to the talks is for SATW members and invitees only).